Frequently Asked Questions
Weight Loss Surgery...
- What types of weight loss surgery procedures have Drs. Watson and Hodge performed?
- Open and laparoscopic gastric bypass and banding.
- Can this surgery be performed using minimally invasive techniques?
- Yes, that is always the first approach unless otherwise determined before or during surgery.
- Can I be considered a candidate for surgery even though I have one or more associated
health conditions related to my obesity?
- Usually yes. This must be taken into consideration on an individual basis.
- How long will I be in surgery?
- Surgery takes between 1 and 3 hours.
- What is the length of my anticipated hospital stay?
- 1 to 3 days is the average hospital stay.
- How long will it be before I can return to pre-surgery levels of activity?
- Four to six weeks.
- How will my eating habits change?
- Much smaller portions and bites, eliminate refined sugar and grease (fried foods), concentrate on protein, increase water intake, and no drinking with meals.
- Do you have information about surgery costs and payment options?
- Yes, the Office Manager can provide this information.
- What is the typical excess weight loss and improvement of associated health conditions
for your other patients?
- Conditions such as diabetes and hypertension are eliminated in many cases.
- For Gastric Bypass procedure, 70 - 80% excess weight loss.
- For Lap-Band procedure, 30 - 40% excess weight loss.
- Do you have patients who are willing to share their experiences, both positive and
- Yes, at support groups as well as individuals.
- What information can you give me to help family and friends better understand this
- Weight Loss Surgery Booklet and Support Groups.
- What type of long-term, aftercare services (such as support groups and counseling)
can you provide for me?
- Monthly Support Groups. You may seek counseling with pre-op psychological evaluation counselor or counselor of your choice if needed or desired.
- One-on-one meetings with the Dietitian (call 431-2759 to schedule).
- What do you expect from me if I decide to choose a surgical solutions?
- Commitment to the program, long-term follow-up.